The Minneapolis, Northfield and Southern Railway was an 87 mile long short line railroad connecting Minneapolis and Northfield, Minnesota.
Incorporated in 1918, to take over the trackage of the former Minneapolis, St. Paul, Rochester and Dubuque Electric Traction Company, it used the ARA reporting marks MNS. The railroad was also referred to as the “Dan Patch Lines”.
The railroad’s mainline ran from MNS Junction in Crystal, Minnesota, through New Hope, Golden Valley, St Louis Park, Edina, Bloomington, Savage, Lakeville and then on to Northfield. The MN&S had shops at Glenwood on a spur line that ran to the edge of downtown Minneapolis. There was also a line from Auto Club Junction in Bloomington through Richfield and into south Minneapolis.
Besides freight service, in its early years the company ran passenger service from Minneapolis to Antlers Park, a picnic destination the railroad developed near Lakeville.
The MN&S was acquired by the Soo Line in June of 1982. Today, much of the same track, and even some of the same locomotives and cabooses, are still in service as a part of Progressive Rail.
Also, see MSNHistory@YahooGroups.com